8th February 2012
I would like to introduce myself, my name is Florence Van Graven I am the Interim Coordinator for the Gwabalis Commercial Fisheries Enterprise. Our group consists of five Nations that have come together. The Da’naxda’xw, Gwa’sala Nakwaxda’xw, Mamalilikula, Quatsino, and Tlatlasikwala are working together as one. The Gwabalis Board of Directors submitted a proposal to secure funding to train Gwabalis community members, safely and professionally in the areas of ground fish long line, prawn, and crab fisheries. As well as some required basic Transport Canada courses
The main focus is to train members to be more versatile in the fishing industry. As the fishery is seasonal this will enhance the work opportunities for our members in the fishing industry throughout the year. At this time the Gwabalis Board of Directors, have successfully secured the funding for the up and coming training sessions. The list of the schedule of the training opportunities as you can see has been listed below. In-class training along with mentoring hands on experience will be available to our members.
We are asking interested members from the above nations to submit a resume along with a letter of interest to attend any of the courses listed. Time is of the essence the sooner you submit the better as the scheduled courses start at the end of February. As there is limited seating per class (12)
Upon completion of the course you will receive a certificate from Transport Canada indicating you will be certified.
1) Small Vessel Operator proficiency training: March 4-8 2012, and March 19-22 2012 in class training.
2) MED A1: March 13-15, 2012, and march 27-29, 2012 in class training.
3) Driver’s Education: TBA, a three days course.
4) Radio Operator Marine Commercial: March 9, 2012 and March 29, 2012
5) Marine basic First Aid: TBA, a two day course.
6) Occupational Driver’s Certification: TBA, Six week course 2 participants only for this course
7) Marine Commercial Fisheries Mentor: March 13-16, 2012
All interested parties are recommended that you submit your Letter of interest along with your resume to: The Quatsino Economic Resource Office. Attention: Florence Van Graven or email to gwabalisinfoquatsinofn.ca